tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 10 08:38:10 2004

Re: 'that' as dem. pron.

cheesbro ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> klingon has no demonstrative pronouns, only demonstrative noun suffixes
> ({-vam} and {-vetlh}.
> thus the klingon equivalent of a demonstrative pronoun will always be a noun
> of some kind.  i've made a small list of broad, generic nouns to choose from
> in case no immediately obvious and more specific noun comes to mind.
> Doch = thing, object
> ghu' = situation
> wanI' = event, happening
> mu', mu' 'ay' = word; piece of language ({QIch} - speech (vocal sounds) might
> work here too.)
> qech = idea, concept
>
> are there any other broad concepts that can be used like this?  does anyone
> actually use terms like these, or do you actually use only the more specific
> terms that come up in context?

I don't recall which HolQeD it is (and it will be a LONG time before I'm home
again to check it), but I recall an article about the idea of using suffixes on
pronouns.
'oHvam, 'oHvetlh.

We don't have canon usage of this, but it is an interesting concept.

DloraH

Back to archive top level