tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 07 12:01:07 2004

Re: KLBC {X-Hom X X-'a'}

cheesbro ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

> > {beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH}
> > If this is possible, is the {X-Hom X X-'a'} part singular, or plural?
> > (Hence {HIvje'Hom HIvje' HIvje''a' lulo'} for "they use ever-larger cups".)
>
> I agree that this is an odd construction, one that feels wierd, certainly.
> It's located on Skybox card S31, and here's the whole quote:
>
>    Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'. beyHom bey bey'a' jachtaH
>    latlh tlhInganpu'.
>    The eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened and others [Klingons] roar
>    in a great crescendo.  (S31)
>

> This construct practically screams
> for a {je} at the end, which would make them collectively plural, and fits
> in with the grammar of the sentence. So I suspect it's a canon error.

> Conjoined verbs may be interpreted as a
> sequence, IIRC; there's a sentence in TKW, {bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj,
> Hegh} "Klingons are born, live as warriors, then die" (p.5) that shows this.
> Might conjoined nouns provide a similar sort of sequence? Thus, ??{verengan
> Human tlhIngan HoH} "He kills a Ferengi, a human, then a Klingon".
> but the grammar and translation of {beyHom bey bey'a'} does seem to indicate
> a sequence to me

> {beyHom bey bey'a'} is translated as "great crescendo," not as
> something made up of three kinds of shouts.

As another has stated, {beyHom bey bey'a'} is not simply three different
shouts.  To me it looks like the three nouns represent an "ever-increasing"
situation; kind of like how the one poster was attemping "ever-larger" cups.
Adding a [je] as one suggested would make [beyHom bey bey'a' je] a collection
of three shouts, and [HIvje'Hom HIvje' HIvje''a' je] would be a collection of
three cups, and both of these could be written in any sequence ([bey'a' beyHom
bey je]); but this eliminates the "ever-increasing" idea.

{verengan Human tlhIngan HoH} would need a [je]; what other connection do these
nouns have?  {bogh tlhInganpu', SuvwI'pu' moj, Hegh} is composed of three
COMPLETE sentences, and placed in sequencial order.

Going back to [HIvje'Hom HIvje' HIvje''a'], with the canon we have we cannot
know for sure how the XHom-X-X'a' works; but with the case of [HIvje'Hom HIvje'
HIvje''a'], -Hom and -'a' don't always express size.  A HIvje'Hom could be a
large paper cup, a HIvje''a' could be a small fancy gold trimmed cup for the
king; we don't know.  Maybe such a formula, when used, would (temporarily)
override those other meanings and would express the "ever-increasing" idea,
recognized by the [je] or lack of.

Just a thought.

DloraH

Back to archive top level