tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 05 12:03:19 2004

Re: bertlham (was Re: Possible Pun)

[corrected post]

Voragh:
> >For example, here's one of his more obscure musical references:  {bertlham}
> >"This word usually refers to the last aria or other musical portion in an
> >opera, last speech in a play, last sentence or so of a story or an address.
> >The {bertlham} of a well-known work is often well-known itself, as is its
> >beginning (bI'reS)."  (HQ 12.2:8-9)  For those unfamiliar with opera
> >(including me), this turns out to be a reference to Bertram's rousing aria
> >"Nonnes qui reposez" in the last act of Meyerbeer's opera "Robert le
> >Diable".

ghunchu'wI':
>Huh?  "Nonnes qui reposez" is pretty much in the *middle* of the opera.
>Unless you've verified this with Dr. Okrand ...

AS I said, {ghe'naQ nIt po'wI' jIHbe'}.  I merely recorded what some else
posted to the list when the words were being discussed.  I assumed that
this would have been the final, memorable aria.

>How appropriate that Okrand is a fan of {ghe'naQ nIt}, even if it isn't
>Klingon.

Pity.  Okrand as an opera fan seemed too good to be true.

>Try something much less obscure:  Shakespeare's "All's Well that Ends Well".

I know that Bertram, along with Helena, is one of the two main
characters.  Is the pun because Bertram eventually gets out of trouble,
gets the girl, and the play "ends well" in general?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level