tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 05 12:04:20 2004

Re: Possible Pun

Tad Stauffer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

>Voragh said:
> > >Are there any other Hawaiian puns in the glossary?
>
>DloraH said:
> >Supghew

Voragh:
>"... the most commonly found being the relatively small {Supghew}" (KGT 76)
>is possibly a ukelele-sized instrument, but what's the actual pun?  I lived
>in Hawaii for three years (where the only ukeleles I ever saw were for
>tourists) but all I can make from this is "resource/jump bug".

According to the wiki
/wiki/index.php?Puns%20in%20the%20Vocabulary%20of%20tlhIngan%20Hol:

A ukulele is named for the flea-like jumping movement of the player's
fingers. The Hawaiian word for flea is "'uku lele", or "jumping bug"

 > Soqra'tIS said:
 > >My two strips of gold-pressed latinum worth:
 > >
 > >1 under par = eagle
 > >2 under par = birdie (ie, "little-bird")
 > >
 > >Not having my Hol tomes available, but wasn't "parpar" glossed as a small
 > >bird?

 > Se'noj said:
 > ghobe', 1 under par is a birdie, 2 under par is an eagle.

Two birds have the syllable *par* in their name - {cha'par} and {parbIng}.
{parbIng} is the one with the golf reference - again, according to the wiki:

{parbIng} (n) mid-sized bird with particularly garish coloring [par +
(bIng=under). What kind of clothing do golfers wear? And what is the golf
term for getting one under par?]

- taD

Back to archive top level