tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 01 13:57:29 2004

Re: Star Trek V & VI DVD extras

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

De'vID:
>There are interviews with the actors who played Klingons on both
>discs.  The one on Star Trek V is called "That Klingon Couple"
>with the subtitle <tlhIngan chang'engvetlh>.

Voragh:
>Klaa and Vixis, I presume?

Yup, played by Todd Bryant and Spice Williams, respectively.  I
watched the <tlhIngan chang'engvetlh> segment again.  But,
again, with a notepad and the pause button.  There's nothing in there
that we don't already know (well, maybe one thing, see below), but it
does supply some instances of uses of words that we do already know.
(Does supplementary DVD material count as canon? ;) )

At one point, Spice Williams exclaims "Brilliant!" and the word
<chong!> is shown in the subtitle (all Klingon subtitles in this
segment are given in Roman font).

At another point she is describing her reaction to being hired
for the movie, and says "Wow, wow!  For Star Trek!  Omigosh!", and
the subtitle said <yay, yay!  Hov lengvaD!  baQa'!>  (Okay, I'm sure
<yay> is a joke and isn't actually the Klingon way of saying "wow".
But it's cute.)

She describes a scene from the movie (near the end) by saying the
line "Oh, what wonderful muscles", and the subtitle was <toH,
Somraw'Du' Dunqu'>.  (That's not a typo on my part, the <'> is
there on *<Somraw'> in the subtitle.)

Todd Bryant at one point asks Spice Williams if she remembers "that
Hoch Dun puS line", and the subtitle said <Hoch Dun puS>.  Then
she looked up as if trying to remember it, and said something which
was subtitled as <'entepray' Hub patmey luchu'be'>.  Was this line
in the movie?  I didn't find it or a line like it in the movie, and
I don't know if it's a deleted line that she remembered, or if she
misremembered a line and whoever did the subtitles re-constructed
it from what she said.  (It does sound like that's what she said.
If she remembered a deleted line after all these years then she
has an amazing memory!  A line like that -- "They didn't activate
Enterprise's defense systems" -- would be perfect near the end of
the movie when the Bird-of-Prey catches the Enterprise unawares.)

There's another deleted scene that was supposed to show that there
was a romantic relationship between Klaa and Vixis.  Presumably
they're speaking Klingon in that scene, but unfortunately the
commentary talks over it and you can't hear what's being said.
(Anyone know how to read lips in Klingon? :) )

I wonder who supplied the subtitles.  Was Okrand, or someone from
KLI, involved in this?  The subtitles are much better than the
usual Paramount attempts at Klingon done without Okrand's help,
and the little joke using <yay> to translate "wow" is quite
characteristics of Okrand.

--
De'vID

MSN Premium with Virus Guard and Firewall* from McAfee® Security : 2 months
FREE*