tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 05 09:45:35 2004

Re: Star Trek V & VI DVD extras

De'vID:
>Todd Bryant at one point asks Spice Williams if she remembers "that
>Hoch Dun puS line", and the subtitle said <Hoch Dun puS>.  Then
>she looked up as if trying to remember it, and said something which
>was subtitled as <'entepray' Hub patmey luchu'be'>.  Was this line
>in the movie?  I didn't find it or a line like it in the movie, and
>I don't know if it's a deleted line that she remembered, or if she
>misremembered a line and whoever did the subtitles re-constructed
>it from what she said.  (It does sound like that's what she said.
>If she remembered a deleted line after all these years then she
>has an amazing memory!  A line like that -- "They didn't activate
>Enterprise's defense systems" -- would be perfect near the end of
>the movie when the Bird-of-Prey catches the Enterprise unawares.)

Okrand gave the line as

   'entepray' Hub patmey luchu'be'lu'pu'
   Enterprise defense systems are down. (ST5 notes)

in his "HolQeD" article on deleted ST5 lines.  {luchu'be'lu'pu'} is quite a
mouthful.  But you're right, for a non-Klingonist she has an excellent
memory, which I'm sure comes in handy as an actor.

>There's another deleted scene that was supposed to show that there
>was a romantic relationship between Klaa and Vixis.  Presumably
>they're speaking Klingon in that scene, but unfortunately the
>commentary talks over it and you can't hear what's being said.
>(Anyone know how to read lips in Klingon? :) )

I can't read lips, but here's the deleted scene according to
<http://www.geocities.com/phineasbg/st5deleted.html>http://www.geocities.com/phineasbg/st5deleted.html

   Once Klaa gives the order to intercept the Enterprise, Vixis salutes
   him. From this scene we can infer that Klaa and Vixis are more than
   just captain and first officer, that they are possibly involved roman-
   tically. From the shooting script:

     Vixis passionately returns the gesture.

     VIXIS: (Success... my captain.)

Fitting this bit into what made it into the final cut (subtitles are in
parentheses) and Okrand's notes, we have:

   Klaa:  qIrq vIjeylaHchugh...
          (If I could defeat Kirk...)

   Vixis: qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS.
          (You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.)

   Klaa:  nom yIghoSqu'.  [Salutes.]  Qapla'!
          (Maximum speed.  [Salutes.]  Success!)

   [Vixis passionately returns the gesture.]

   Vixis: Qapla', HoDwI'.
          Success, my captain.

De'vID, thanks for taking the time to post all of this, especially the
detailed transcription of the scene with the three ambassadors in Paradise
City.  I was able to fill in some gaps in my ST5 notes.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level