tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 01 13:53:59 2004

Re: Star Trek V & VI DVD extras

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Voragh:
>Dev'ID, could you listen again and try to transcribe what he says exactly?

Okay, this time I watched the scene again with a notepad and my
finger on the pause button.

Voragh (quoting HolQeD 8.4):
>Koord:  DungDaq legh 'ej QotnIStaH romuluSngan be'pu'!
>        Romulan women belong on their backs!
>Koord:  yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH vIneH.
>        The only thing I want you to open is your blouse.
>
>        pImlaw' romuluSngan be' porgh.
>        I've heard Romulan women are different.

I've transcribed the dialogue from the scene.
Abbreviations: H = Human (St. John Talbot), K = Klingon (Consul
Koord), R = Romulan (Caithlin Dar)

R: There's hunger, poverty, no law enforcement.
   Yet the two of you... sit drinking.
K: QotnIStaH romuluSngan be'pu'.  Hmph.
   (He definitely does *not* say <DungDaq legh 'ej>.)
R: What did he say?
H: He says he hopes you enjoy yourself while you're here.
   Uh.  May I ask you, Ms. Dar, what terrible mistake you made
   to get yourself banished to this place, the armpit of the
   universe?
R: I volunteered.
H: Volunteered?  (turns to Koord) Sap (t)uu ee kwee(j)
   (He translates what she said for Koord.  The first word is
   definitely <Sap>.  I can't make out the rest.  It *might*
   be <Sappu' 'e' QIj>.)
K: (bursts out in a big laugh)
R: (nervous/embarrassed laugh, then serious)
   Nimbus III is a great experiment.  The policies that the three
   of us agree on here will have far-reaching results.
H: My dear child, we're not here to agree, we're here to disagree.
R: But I'm here to open discussions -- to find solutions to these problems.
K: yIvbeHlIj neH DapoSmoH.  (laughs)
   pImlaw' romuluSngan be' porgh.  (laughs some more)
   (There's no <vIneH> at the end of the first sentence.  And
   he turns to the human at the <neH>, which is too early.
   Also, his second sentence is accompanied by a hand gesture which
   leaves little doubt that he was saying something inappropriate.)
R: (angry) *What* did he say?  I want his exact words.
H: (sighing) He said the only thing he wants you to open is
   your blouse.  He's heard that Romulan women are different.
R: (furious) Well you tell Consul Koord that I-- never mind.  I'll tell
   him myself (starts walking over to Koord), in the only Klingon I
   know.  (in Koord's face)  Qu'vatlh!  (Actually it was more of a
   <qu'vatlh>, but being Romulan, I suppose she can be forgiven for
   being unable to quite get the Klingon <Q>.)
K: (slowly gets up; growls, in Klingon) Quu(gh)uuuuuuuu vat(lh) (tlh)lap!
   (pause, then in English) Screw you too!
R: (surprised) He *does* speak English!
H: (laughs)
(A panel beeps.  End of scene.)

There is a line in Klingon that we didn't know about before,
spoken by the Human to the Klingon.  By the context it should
mean "She said she volunteered".  The sentence begins with the
word <Sap>.  It sounds like "shap (t)uu ee kwee(j)".  My guess
is <Sappu' 'e' QIj>.

As far as I can tell, what Koord said is supposed to be <Qu'vatlh>
as well.  But it's very drawn out as he rises from his chair slowly.
At one point the "uuu" breaks and he kind of continues with a
gurgling sound "gh".  Then he says "vat" or "vatlh", a slight
pause, then "lap" or "tlhap" (or maybe "lab" or "tlhab").  It's
<Qu'vatlh> plus another consonant that sounds like <tlhap>.
Maybe it's clipped for <yItlhap>?  This seems to suggest that
<Qu'vatlh> was originally a phrase with a meaning of "screw you".

The actor's pronunciation is not very good.  Of course the character
is quite inebriated so it might be intentional.  (Or he's speaking
a regional dialect, etc.)  Without the supplied lines I doubt I
could have figured out what he was supposed to be saying.  He does
*not* say <DungDaq legh 'ej> in the first bit, nor does he have
<vIneH> at the end of the first sentence in the second bit.  Of
course they might have done several takes of this scene, but
that's what was actually said on the scene included on the DVD.

--
De'vID

STOP MORE SPAM with the MSN Premium and get 2 months FREE*