tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 31 11:06:27 2004

Re: about

Teresh000 ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

In a message dated 3/31/2004 11:34:21 AM Eastern Standard Time, [email protected] writes:

> From: "Alan Anderson" <[email protected]>
>
> > ja' QeS lagh:
> > >I was just wondering whether something like {tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ
> > >vImuch} would be legal, and not interpreted as a bad noun-noun
> construction.
> >
> > Why use {-'e'} at all?
> >
> > tlhIngan Hol SoQ vImuch - "I present a lecture about Klingon."
>

> I agree with ghunchu'wI', but to answer your question, yes, I'd consider
> your sentence legal.  {tlhIngan Hol'e' SoQ} is an illegal noun-noun
> construction, so it can't be interpreted as one.  The only interpretation
> left is that {tlhIngan Hol'e'} is a topic, and {SoQ} is the object.

This reminds me of a sentence I wanted to use the other day.  How
would you understand {Duj'e' qaS vay'}?  My intention was something
along the lines of "Something's happening with the ship" (that is,
we're observing a ship in the distance, and notice that something
is going on over there, but we can't tell what).

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level