tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 26 06:11:10 2004

RE: Using object prefixes with "intransitive" verbs

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Paul:

>/loS/ perhaps might be better thought of as "expect, wait (for)"

chaq <await> lo'laH je vay': <I await him> 'oSlaH {vIloS}; <I await the
ship's glorious return> 'oSlaH {Duj cheghqa'ta'ghach quvqu' vIloS}.

ghItlhpu' Heather:

>We already have a word for "expect": <pIH>.  TKD says <loS> means "wait
>(for)", and <pIH> means "expect" or "be suspicious".  Please don't
>reinterpret the Klingon words from an English standpoint; they're
>Klingon words.

I think the meaning of "expect" that Paul means is not the same as what
Heather means. There are two meanings of "expect": "She's expecting a baby".
If a woman is "expecting" a baby in English, she's not "expecting that she
will have" one (or "being suspicious" that she will have one), she is
"awaiting" it. I think this falls right into line in Klingon: {yatlh be';
ghu loS} means "the woman is pregnant; she's waiting for/expecting the
baby", whereas {yatlh be'; ghu pIH}, as I understand it, means "the woman is
pregnant; she suspects that it is a baby". taQ 'e' vIHar.

That's just my opinion, but that's what the definitions point towards in my
mind. There's nothing wrong that I can see with translating {loS} as
"expect". We should think about how it might translate from Klingon to
English, not just the other way around. As I said, I see some rather bizarre
connotations to the sentence {yatlh be'; ghu pIH}. She suspects maybe a
targ? {{:D

>Stick with what we've been given.  There's nothing wrong
>with using these words the way they're defined.  <loS> doesn't need to
>mean "expect" because <pIH> already means that.

{baHwI'} wIlo'laHchugh, {matHa'} wIlo'be'nIS'a'?  {{:)  Synonyms allow for
diversity.

If we use Klingon words only the way they're defined (with just one word in
TKD in a lot of cases), we find ourselves in all sorts of trouble.
Definitions in TKD are very often ambiguous. {Dub} "improve", {vIH} "move",
and {HeghmoH} "be fatal" are three examples I can think of that have caused
debate in the past. And how about {ghor}? EVen that's caused some debate.
{{:D

As well, the semantics of {loS} and {pIH} appear different in Klingon (due
in part to the other meanings we're given), and as I explained earlier, the
word "expect" in English seems to be the problem due to its ambiguity.

This is something I learned (the hard way, I admit) from the venerable
{charghwI' 'utlh} some years ago now: One must not only be conscious of how
the English words translate into Klingon, but how the Klingon words you
generate would translate back into English.

Savan.

QeS lagh

Get Extra Storage in 10MB, 25MB, 50MB and 100MB options now! Go to
http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-au&page=hotmail/es2

Back to archive top level