tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 25 13:48:29 2004

Re: That's not canon

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

weQqul:
>ok!  yapmev. lol. jImISbejqu'! nuq "cannon" "headless <bogh> clause" je?
>mu'meyvam yIQIj!

The term "canon" refers to the body of "good" or "official" Klingon.
When it's used here it typically refers to "Okrandian canon", i.e. the
body of Klingon written by Marc Okrand and considered to be officially
correct.  (There's also "Trek canon", "show/movie canon", etc.)  The
materials in the movies, books, and tapes that Okrand worked on are
generally considered canon, but there's always some debate over things
that fall into grey areas like what Okrand wrote on a napkin (okay, I
exaggerate, but only a little) or whatever.

A "headless <-bogh> clause" is a verb with the <-bogh> suffix which
does not have a "head noun".  A head noun is defined wherever it is
in The Klingon Dictionary that describes <-bogh>.  (I don't have
my books with me because I'm not living at home.)

For example:
    <yaS vIqIpbogh> "officer whom I hit"
    <muqIpbogh yaS> "officer who hit me"

In the above, <yaS> is the head noun of the <-bogh> clauses.

But consider:
    *<vIqIpbogh> "(he) whom I hit"
    *<muqIpbogh> "(he) who hit me"

These two <-bogh> clauses are headless.  Headless <-bogh> clauses
are controversial for reasons that SuStel described in his post.
But most of the time they seem to be understandable, even if they
are grammatically odd.

So SuStel and I were just having a little discussion about whether
the <Dajatlhbogh vIyajbe'> recording in the Klingon CD-ROM game
should be considered "good/authoritative/officially correct Klingon".
I don't consider it so, because it isn't in the final product.  And
I guess also because the grammar is odd and seems to contradict a
previously known rule.  But he grants it more authority than I do in
seeing it as an example of Okrand using a headless <-bogh> clause.

--
De'vID

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months
FREE*