tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 17:45:40 2004

Re: nuq mu' 'ej nuq ngoQvaD and KLBC

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SIvten:

>if {nuq} can be used as a pronoun-verb (like ghaH, 'oH, and MOST ESPECIALLY
>'Iv) then the question has to be set up with the question word {nuq} in the
>same position as the desired answer.

Just remember that in pronominal sentences such as {'Iv SoH} or {nuq ghaH},
the order doesn't matter. {SoH 'Iv} "who are you?" is the same as {'Iv SoH}.
Copular sentences play around with the position of question pronouns in ways
no other sentences do.

Now a KLBC question: How far can we extend the idea of {nuq} as a
pronoun-as-verb? I know that {Dujvetlh 'oH nuq} means "what is that ship?",
and both {nuq 'oH} and {'oH nuq} mean "what is it?", but can we indeed say
{nuq Dujvetlh} "what is that ship?" (And conversely, would {Dujvetlh nuq}
work?)

Savan.

QeS lagh

We've 100s of NEW questions! Play Millionaire online to win $$$$. Click here
  http://sites.ninemsn.com.au/minisite/millionaire/default.asp

Back to archive top level