tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 19 15:30:19 2004

Re: Rank List

Se'noj le'umaS ([email protected])

>You've forgotten two, the titles for the highest ranking enlisted men:
>{bu'}
>"sergeant" and {Da'} "corporal". Also, the leader of the Klingon High
>Command (tlhIngan ra'ghomquv), the {la'quv} "Supreme Commander". Otherwise,
>you've done pretty well. If it helps you remember, I'm an ensign: {QeS
>*lagh*}. ('ach laghna' jIHbe' 'e' yIqaw. {{:D)

I had not, actually, forgotten them. The playerbase is not yet large enough
to justify having those sorts of ranks, as NPCs (Non-Player Characters) fill
them, with the higher, more interesting ranks being done by the players.

>The rest look pretty good, except for some compound nouns which I'd
>personally render as noun-noun constructions: {Suybeq} "merchant crew" and
>{Duy'a'pIn} "head ambassador" I would render as {Suy beq} and {Duy'a' pIn}
>respectively. (Anyway, isn't the ambassador *the* authority of a foreign
>nation? Usually ambassadors work singly.)

The Duy'a' pIn would be the guy back on Qo'noS calling the shots, I think.

qatlho'
Se'noj