tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 16 14:37:19 2004

Re: 'oy'naQ

lay'tel SIvten:
> >> which is the better way to spell it: "painstick" or "painstik"?
> >> 'stik' is more trekky, and 'stick' is more english.
>
> > It is in TKW as "painstik"

Quvar:
>I'm really sorry - and I'm not a native speaker - but a "painstick" is a
>"stick", and a "stik" looks like a typo.

lay'tel is right:  the spelling "stik" is supposed to look more "trekky"
and futuristic.  This phonetic style of spelling is occasionally seen in
English language science fiction set in the far future (as if the origin of
the word or proper name has been forgotten).  Do they do this in German sci-fi?

Of course, the normal English word for {'oy'naQ} is, of course, cattle
prod.  <g>

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons