tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 12 16:39:12 2004

Re: Did Hoch, now pagh...

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

De'vID:
>>      <rol ghaj Hoch tlhIngan>
>>      "Each Klingon (individually) has a beard."
>>
>>      <rol ghaj Hoch tlhInganpu'>
>>      "All Klingons (as a group) have beards."

...Paul:
>Maybe it's a bad example of context, but I don't see much difference here;
>but perhaps that's just because the idea of "having a beard" doesn't lend
>itself to communal sharing...  :)

But I do think the emphasis is slightly different:

      <mIv tuQ Hoch ghojwI'>
      "Each student wears a helmet."

      <mIv tuQ Hoch ghojwI'pu>
      "Every student wears a helmet."

In the first case, it might be some kind of fashion (like earrings).
In the second case, it seems to express that this is a property of
students, i.e. it's part of a student's uniform.

BTW how does the <lu-> prefix work when using <Hoch X[-pu']>?

De'vID:
>>      <rol ghajbe' Hoch tlhInganpu'>
>>      "All Klingons (as a group) do not have beards."
>>      Or: *"Not all Klingons have a beard." (possibly ambiguous)

... Paul:
>The English is not equivalent to each other, I don't see this as a
>solution.

Well, okay, my English translation didn't quite capture the sense
I thought the Klingon might have.  Instead of "All Klingons (as a group)
do not have beards", how about: "It is not the case that {All Klingons
(as a group) have beards}"?  Does that make the two equivalent,
then?  As I said, this is possibly ambiguous.  The question is, does
<-be'> negate the verb or the sentence?  Actually it probably
negates just the verb, so you're right, my second English sentence
isn't the same as the Klingon.

... Paul:
>Trouble arises with /pagh/.  The problem is that it also happens to be a
>number, and we have distinct directive in terms of translating numbers
>based on their position in relation to their core noun.  /pagh pu'/ is
>"zero phasers" or "no phaser", and /pu' pagh/ is "phaser #0".  I put forth
>that /pagh/ could be used in similar ways as /Hoch/, but we end up with an
>ambiguity; /pu' pagh/ could be "Phaser Zero" -or- "None of the phaser".

If <-be'> unambiguously negated the verb, then you could always use
<V-be'> with <X Hoch> to say "None of X is/does V".  I would understand
<X pagh> to mean "none of X" in context, but some contexts are
ambiguous.

... Paul:
>Given that, we can cover a decent range of quantity:
>
>Hoch -> HochHom -> 'op  -> paghHom -> pagh
>All  -> Most    -> Some -> Little  -> None

What about <'op'a'> and <'opHom>?  Or <Hoch'a'> and <pagh'a'>?
Could these mean anything?

--
De'vID

MSN Premium helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE*