tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 10 21:50:06 2004

Re: koi baat nahin

A4773492 ([email protected])

In a message dated 3/10/2004 6:53:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> nov wamwI':
> >As I said, we were just joking and had I known someone would make such a
> >big fuss over it, I would not have done it. I noticed that you picked and
> >chose which part to translate. If you were going to translate, then why
> >didn't you translate all of it or was that your intention? She posted in
> >Urdu, so I
> >answered in Urdu.  Please accept our apologies. We will be careful not to
> >do this in the future.

qon De'vID
> No, I was not the least bit upset, I don't know why you thought
> so.  I didn't pick which parts to translate, I just picked
> out the parts which were in Urdu in your first two messages,
> and for which I recognized most of the words (but evidently
> I don't remember it as well as I thought I did, and I've
> apparently forgotten all of the grammar too!).  Like I said in
> my message (in tlhIngan Hol), I learned Urdu years ago, and
> I haven't used it since, and I've forgotten most of it.
> I expected my translation to be quite wrong (and I even said
> so).  In fact, looking over your provided translations, I've
> apparently confused the word order in Urdu.  Also I'm not used
> to seeing Urdu in Romanized transliteration.  (e.g. I was
> quite puzzled about the meaning of "kiun", but now I think
> I understand.)
>
> You want to learn Klingon and I want to remember my Urdu.  When
> if you post in Klingon/Urdu, and others correct your mistakes
> in the Klingon, that's how you learn.  (That's how I learned.)
> If I (mis-)translate your Urdu, and you point out my errors,
> that's how I will learn.  So I am not upset that you posted in
> Urdu at all, in fact I am glad for the opportunity to see
> a language that I once knew but haven't had a chance to use
> in years.
>
> If I have intruded on a private conversation or an inside
> joke, then I apologize.  This being a public mailing list
> for discussion about language, I did not think that
> translating your words might be inappropriate, but perhaps
> it was.
>
> BTW, as rusty as my Urdu is, I think I remember that "koi baat
> nahin" = <qay'be'>.  So, koi baat nahin, and please keep
> posting in your mixture of Klingon/Urdu.

We both misunderstood you. I, because it has been years since I had started
to learn  tlhIngan Hol, then I had to give it up for lack of time. I just have
my dictionary now and I was looking up words like crazy to translate what you
had written. I missed the <qeq> part of your post and totally misunderstood
you. Also Shama was looking stuff up in pojwI' and obviously misunderstood as
well. Honestly, between the both of us we thought you had said that you knew
what we had written because you had a friend that had taught you Urdu and that
you were translating what we wrote because you wanted others to know what we had
written. No problem there though. It wasn't anything important. Just goofing
off a bit. Also, I had forgotten how much imperatives are used in tlhIngan Hol
and the first part I read was <tlhIngan Hol yIlo'> so I assumed incorrectly
that you were upset with us. Honestly, I didn't translate all of it. As I said
before, Shama was using pojwI' and mostly telling me what you said, since it
was taking me so long to look up the stuff in the dictionary. Most of the stuff
that I remember are known phrases and I think she got the idea that I knew a
lot more than I do. I am sure this little misunderstanding has shown her
otherwise. :) Also, I want to tell you that my urdu isn't all that great either. I
have forgotten a lot of it as well. More than once I have had to go to online
translation in this past week to find some of the stuff in there she writes
me, because I don't remember the words. If you are interested, e-mail me and I
will give you the URL to the online Urdu translation site. Also, if you ask
Shama, she can give you URLs to a lot of Indian -Pakistani music sites and poetry
sites she visits frequently. That should help you with your Urdu. As for
using it on this list, after this misunderstanding, I think it is probably best
that we stick to tlhIngan Hol and English. :) Also she has since told me that we
are supposed to anyhow. I was not aware of that at the time. Feel free to
e-mail me personally if you have any questions though. I might be able to help.
If not, I am sure she would be willing to and she is a lot better at it than I
am, that is for sure! Actually, her youngest daughter just came back from
Pakistan in September of 2003 and they speak it quite frequently in their home,
whereas I haven't spoke it in years.

OK! Third try!  AOL is scrambling my messages. If this doesn't get posted the
proper way this time, I am going to have to have Shama post this for me.

Qapla'
nov wamwI'
03/10/2004 23:27 (Local Time)
HovpoH 701272.3