tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 09 01:39:09 2004

Re: if not {pemHov},...

Quvar ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 09.03.2004 03:53:40, schrieb [email protected]:

>pemHov, juHHov, Hov'a', ... and whatever else we can come up with that is based
>on Hov works ok for MODERN people; but before the sciences developed people did
>not know that the sun was merely another star.

Indeed. The best proof for that is to watch at the terran words: "sun" and "star", "soleil" et "étoile",
"slunce" i "hvezda", "güneS" ve "yildiz",... just to name a few examples.
These words are all completely different.

And by the way, a *pemHov* (literally a "daylight-star") could also be the "description" of Venus, for
instance. Okay, Venus is not a star. But who knew about that a century ago? Only those scientists like
Kepler, Galileo and company who observed the stars. That's how the word "planet" evolved: They
noticed that they don't move the same way the stars do move on the virtual sky. So they called them
"rovers", using greek.

I believe that Klingons never cared much about astronomy (i.e. "watching the sky") as terrans did, so
probably 'found' a new, short word for this "thing" that we call planet, instead of describing what the
"thing" planet does.
Or maybe they didn't need a new word for planet, but yuQ could have been something else before, like
"world" for instance. See the resemblance of {yuQ} and {juHqo'}!

Interesting, [theoretical] Klingon ethymology.  ;-)

Quvar.
NB: theoretical! Klingon ethymology based on my Klingon imagination.

Back to archive top level