tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 08 05:29:42 2004

Re: possible proverb

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 10:35 PM
Subject: possible proverb

> {letlh bIchenmoHchugh, mIwmey bIghojnIS.}
> lit. "If you build a staircase, you must have steps."

{DaghojnIS}- Wrong prefix on the last verb.

> Tell me what you think.  Is it worthy of inclusion?

This reminds me of the English translation of the Klingon joke:
{Doq'a' SuvwI'pu'? ghobe'. SuD} "Are warriors red? No, they are green."
mentions nothing about gambling or taking a risk, something that is present
in the Klingon.
Likewise:
"Two Ferengi walk into a bar. Ouch." could be translated as:
{tach lu'el cha' verengan. 'oy'} "Two Ferengi enter a pub. It hurts."
But that translation does not give the double entendre necessary to the
joke.

The cleverness of the original English is utterly lost in the translation.
Full marks for effort, though. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute