tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Mar 06 04:34:10 2004

Re: use of 'e' in to-be construction

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dar'Qang" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 9:25 PM
Subject: use of 'e' in to-be construction

> It's not clear to me from the description whether or not the
> previous-sentence pronoun 'e' can
> be used in a to-be construction.  Example:
>
> Duj vIQaw' 'e' 'oH qech'e' vIqelbogh.
>
> "The idea that I am considering is to destroy the ship."

While this is only my opinion, but I think this is wrong. It "feels" better
to recast this as two sentences:
Duj vIQaw'. qech vIqelbogh 'oH.
"I destroy the ship. It's the idea I'm considering."

That being said,

> QeS lagh:
> it might be better just to say {Duj vIQaw' 'e' vIqel}

This seems much better. We sidestep the issue entirely, it's easier to
understand, and it gets the idea across.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/