tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 04 17:10:48 2004

Re: Did Hoch, now pagh...

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>

> I was just wondering, whilst I sit in this meeting at work, whether or not
> /pagh/ can be used like /Hoch/?  Can I say /tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH
> tera'ngan pagh/ for "None of the Terrans can speak Klingon"?  Or is it
> only /pagh tera'ngan/?
>
> Is there a similar subtle difference between whether or not /pagh/ appears
> before or after the noun?

You've got the {Hoch} idea backward if you're asking the question this way.

tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH Hoch tlhIngan.
Each Klingon can speak Klingon.

tlhIngan Hol lujatlhlaH Hoch tlhInganpu'.
All Klingons can speak Klingon.

If {tlhIngan Hol jatlhlaH tlhIngan Hoch} means anything, it's probably, "All
of the Klingon can speak Klingon" (whatever that means).  It does not mean
either of the two English sentences above.

We know how {pagh} works, too:

Dal pagh jagh.
No enemy is boring. (TKW)

I'm pretty sure we have no data regarding any difference between, say, {pagh
jagh} and {pagh jaghpu'}.  It might be the difference between "no enemy" and
"no group of enemies," but that's just guessing.  We also have no reason to
suspect that {pagh} is meaningful after a noun.  {pagh}is a number and a
noun.  It is not a verb, and thus does not modify nouns adjectivally.

SuStel
Stardate 4175.3

Back to archive top level