tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 02 18:48:03 2004

Re: law'/puS DIpvaD tam <'e'> je

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

SuStel:
>>Doq'a' SuvwI'pu'?  ghobe', SuD!
>>
>>tlhIngan yoH SuD verengan yoH Doq.

quljIb:
>I had thought the {Doq}, being associated with {'Iw}, might be indicative
>of strength and warriorhood.  But I bow to my superiors if I am wrong.

Well, ever since we got the meaning of <SuD> as "gamble, take
a risk", I always thought that the joke was based the double
meaning of <SuD> as both "green" and "gamble".  "Is a warrior
red?"; "No, he is green/he takes risks."

Also, isn't the fact that blood is <jeD> more important to
Klingons than that it is <Doq>?  We have a few Klingon
sayings emphasizing the thickness of blood, but none that
refers to its redness that I can remember.  Also, isn't
there an example where <jeD> is used in place of <law'>
in the <law'/puS> construction?

--
De'vID