tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 12:05:49 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: lIghon (n)

Voragh:
> >BTW, KCD also mentions a creature called the {lIghon Qa'Hom} "Ligonian
> >Qa'Hom".  (Does anyone remember any details?)

Quvar:
>Are you sure?
>I only found the entry in the cursing with the picture of this sweet
>little hedgehog.
>On the left, it reads {Qa'Hom}, on the right "little animal (eg. ligonian
>titmouse)"
>Was that your source, or is it in the game somewhere?

This must be it.  I've never been able to get the game to work on my home
PC, so I am dependent on those informants who have played the game and
recorded the linguistic information contained therein.

So, the Klingon words {lIghon Qa'Hom} are definitely not mentioned?  Then
this must have been a back-translation by the person who sent it to
me.  I'll make the correction in my notes.

>on KCD:\WAV\CU001T.WAV, Marc Okrand speaks:
>
>     The translation "titmouse" is really only an approximation
>     of what this word means. A {Qa'Hom} is a small animal,
>     considered rather unsignificant. The word literally means
>     "little {Qa'}". A {Qa'} is a larger more dangerous animal.
>     A {Qa'Hom} is not a young {Qa'}, but it does bear a vague
>     resemblance to its namesake.

I have this.  Thanks.

--
Voragh