tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 01 12:01:54 2004

Re: chuv

Tad Stauffer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 11:33 AM 3/1/2004 -0800, ...Paul wrote:

>Now, admittedly, /chen/ does already exist in the dictionary as a verb,
>whereas /chuv/ does not exist as a noun...
>
>But the corrolary would be, what if I wanted to use /chuvmey/ with a Type
>1 noun suffix?  Would it be */chuvmey'a'/ or */chuv'a'mey/ ?  This is
>where this kind of oddity becomes problematic.

I believe that this exact question came up at a qep'a' when Captain Krankor
presented his song {'Iv maH} for the first time. The song includes the line
{*chuvmeyoy DImaS}, but some people asked whether {*chuvoymey} would be
more grammatically correct or not. At this point, I don't think we know if
one is more correct than the other, but at least when you're singing {'Iv
maH}, *{chuvmeyoy} is the version used. :-)

- taD

Back to archive top level