tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jun 30 07:22:37 2004

Re: tep

Quvar:
>I like to translate {tepqengwI'} into German so I need to distiguish if
>this is used for the person at the airport who carries your luggage, or
>some kind of craft that is similar to a {lupwI'} or {tongDuj}, or maybe =
the
>owner of such a ship whose job it is to transport goods.

{lupwI'} "jitney, bus" probably refers to a type of ground vehicle in=20
CK.  If you're thinking of a passenger transport (a type of large ship=20
referred to frequently on DS9 making regularly scheduled trips to Bajor),=
=20
this would probably be *{lupDuj} - the non-suffixed form of {lupDujHom}=20
"shuttlecraft".

>literally, {tepqengwI'} is "Gep=E4ck-Tr=E4ger" or "Frachttr=E4ger", whic=
h can be
>misleading toward the thing you put on the roof of your car to transport=
>bike or your pair of skis.

Because of my Navy background, I've always assumed that "cargo carrier"=20
referred to a type of ship.  In fact, that is also how the person (not=20
Okrand!) who wrote the definitions for the Klingon Linguistic Studies pag=
e=20
of Paramount's official Star Trek Continuum web site understood it:

   "Space ship primarily used to transfer goods from one location to anot=
her."

However, we also have {tongDuj} "freighter" and {SuyDuj} "merchant ship" =
as=20
well.

To further complicate matters - and, perhaps, to illustrate SuStel's poin=
t=20
about multiple meanings - {tepqengwI'} is translated "cargo lift" (i.e. a=
=20
type of crane according to the picture) on the Klingon BoP poster (which=20
also featured a {tep jolpat} "cargo transporter" on the {tep choQ} "cargo=
=20
deck").

I would use the one-word {tepqengwI'} for the ship or the device, and the=
=20
two-word {tep qengwI'} for a porter, the person who carries your=20
cargo/baggage.  Of course, we know from CK that tourists are expected to=20
carry their own bags on Kronos:

   teplIj yIwoH 'ej pa'lIjDaq yIjaH!
   Pick up your baggage and go to your room. CK

so this may be only a theoretical distinction among Klingons. <g>

--=20
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons=20

Back to archive top level