tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 28 13:02:23 2004

RE: two rovers on one verb

> >SuStel:
> >> So far, we've only seen rovers on verbs that are modifying nouns
> >> adjectivally.  Examples:
>
>Voragh:
> >Not correct.  Rovers also appear on action verbs.  E.g.:
> >
> >    yIHaDqu'
> >    Study him well. TKD

taD:
>I think what SuStel meant was "So far, we've seen only rovers [and not verb
>suffixes of type 1-9] on verbs that are modifying nouns adjectivally."
>i.e., we have not seen examples such as *{tlhIngan ghunglaw'} "the
>apparently hungry Klingon" or *{Duj ngaDbeH} "The ready-to-be-stable vessel"

Now I get it.  In that case, SuStel is right.  A quick check of {-law} and
{-bej} does show them being used with qualities - but only predicatively,
not adjectivally.  E.g.:

   buy'law' ngop
   That seems to be good news
   (lit. "The plates are apparently full") KGT

   chImlaw'
   it appears to be empty, I think it's empty. TKD

   bIpIvHa'law'
   You look terrible (You seem unhealthy). TKD

   jIroplaw'
   I feel sick. CK

   pImlaw' romuluSngan be' porgh
   I've heard Romulan women are different. (ST5 notes)

   qu'bej QoghlIj.
   Your krol is definitely fierce. PK

BTW I wouldn't expect to see {-beH} "ready, set up" on a quality, since
this suffix means that the device is ready/set up to *do* something.  IOW,
this is another one of those suffixes that I think can only be used either
on an action verb or together with {-choH} "become" or {-moH} "cause"
(which suffixes turn a quality into an action verb).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level