tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 24 14:48:42 2004

RE: another canon 'mistake'?

Eric Andeen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

SuStel:

> I presume you're referring to the idea of "belonging in" being=20
> translated as "your location is."

lay'tel SIvten:

> Yes.  The Klingon seems to say that the person being cursed is=20
> already in the black hole and in the netherworld, whereas the=20
> English states that the proper place of the person being cursed=20
> is the netherworld and/or black hole, and that he's interfering=20
> with the natural order of things by being where he is.

> The Klingon is simply making a (presumably) untrue statement. =20
> The English gets into wishes and other hypothetical stuff, with=20
> a lot of presupposition thrown into the bargain.

jIQochbej. If the sentence were <ghe''or luSpetDaq SoHtaH>, then it
would clearly be a statement about the location of the person being
cursed, at least in the time context of the sentence.=20

But it's not. It's <ghe''orDaq luSpet 'oH DaqlIj'e'>. This literally
means "In the netherworld, your place/location is a black hole". If
<DaqlIj> can take on a connotation anything like the word "place" in
English (e.g. "A woman's place is in the home"), then this means exactly
what it is supposed to. And since we know the translation is correct, we
must infer that this interpretation of <Daq> is correct as well.

pagh

p.s. chovnatlh vIwIvpu'mo' pebepQo'. be'pu' vImaw 'e' vIHechbe'bej. teH
chovnatlhvam 'e' vImaqbe', 'ach qech vIQIj 'e' vInIDbogh 'angqu'mo', 'ej
ghaytan SIbI' ghovmo' HochHom nuvpu' 'ej yajmo', pup.

p.p.s. vay' vImaw 'e' vIpIHbe'qu', 'ach QInvamDaq puS tlhIngan Hol, 'ej
jabbI'IDghomvaD DIvI' Hol neH vIlab vIneHbe'. vaj 'utbe'bogh tlhIngan
Hol mu'tlheghmey vIchelnISlaw' {:-)>

Back to archive top level