tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 18 17:04:18 2004

Re: moHaq nap, moHaq Qatlh ghap

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:

>Have any of these verbs been used in canon with a no-object prefix (moHaq
>nap)?

>juch

I chose {juch} to single out because it's a really interesting one to use
without a subject. What would {juch} mean without an object? "It has a
width"? It strikes me as unusual, but perhaps not nonsensical; maybe it
means something like "it can be measured along its width" or "it has a
measurable width"; although there's nothing in the real world that doesn't
have a width. As for physics... well, I just don't know. {{:)

WRT {Da}: While not canon, IIRC the word used in the Klingon Hamlet for
"actor" or "player" was {DawI'}. Since it lacks a pronoun prefix, this word
doesn't agree with any object (the subject agreement could theoretically be
argued to be the suffix itself, but I'm not buying into that hairy
argument).

Savan.

QeS lagh

Get a Credit Card - 60 sec online response:
http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;8097459;9106288;b?http://www.anz.com/aus/promo/qantas5000ninemsn
   [AU only]

Back to archive top level