tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 18 16:45:21 2004

RE: ghuH

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' SuStel:

>Sure we can.

>This set of prefixes is also used when an object is possible, but unknown
>or vague.  Thus, {jIyaj}
>"I understand" can be used when the speaker understands things in general,
>knows what is
>going on, or understands what another speaker has just said.  It cannot,
>however, be used for
>understanding a language or understanding a person.

In a way, it's possible to look at the no-object prefixes in the same way as
the suffix {-lu'}.

{vIyaj} = I understand it
{yajlu'} = someone unknown or unspecified understands it
{jIyaj} = I understand something unknown or unspecified

(Of course, it's also possible to have {yajlu'} represent "someone unknown
or unspecified understands something unknown or unspecified".)

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level