tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 14 13:55:25 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: Dol (n)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

jIghItlhpu':

>vaj "the whole ship" mughmeH {Duj Dol} wIlo'laH'a'?

mujang ghunchu'wI':

>ghobe'!
>{Dol} is a noun meaning "entity".  The "added meaning" in TKW is in the
>translation of {wa' Dol nIvDaq matay'DI' maQap}: "We succeed together in a
>greater whole."

Okay, maybe I didn't give enough context, but it seems to me that {Duj Dol}
is still what I'm looking for (although please tell me if I'm wrong). I'm
not sure what you mean by "entity" here. {Dol} just seemed to fit with
something I was trying to translate a little while ago: "The Romulans built
the phaser banks and the cloaking device, but the Klingons put the whole
ship together". {Duj Dol} just seemed to work, and the entire sentence comes
out as

pu'DaH So'wI' je chenmoHta' romuluSnganpu' 'ach Duj Dol luchenmoHta'
tlhInganpu'

Or would just {Duj luchenmoHta' tlhInganpu'} or {Duj lunaQmoH tlhInganpu'}
be sufficient?

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level