tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jun 14 10:42:11 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: Dol (n)

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> Holtej:
>
> ghunchu'wI' has explained how Okrand is using the noun {Dol} in TKW.
>
> QeS lagh:
> > >vaj "the whole ship" mughmeH {Duj Dol} wIlo'laH'a'?
>
> No, that would be {Duj naQ} using the quality {naQ} "be full, be whole, be
> entire".  E.g.:
>
>    cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
>    2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck      (KBoP)
>
> {cha' choQmey naQ} = "two full decks, two whole decks, two entire decks"

No, that would (probably) be {Duj Hoch}.  {naQ} is a quality.  Saying {Duj
naQ} means "the ship that is in one piece," rather than "the entirety of the
ship."  If you can say {Duj naQ} you should also be able to say {naQbogh
Duj}, but in English "ship which is whole" doesn't mean the same thing as
"the whole ship."

When Okrand says {cha' choQmey naQ}, he's not talking about the entirety of
two decks, not some quantity of a deck, but a kind of deck that is
full-sized.  {choQ naQ} "full deck."  {choQ naQ Hoch} "all of the full
deck."  {bID choQ} "half deck."  {bID choQ Hoch} "all of the half deck."

Duj Hoch vIlegh.
I saw the whole ship.  I saw all of it.  I didn't miss any bit of it.

Duch naQ vIlegh.
I saw a ship that was whole.  There was nothing missing on the ship.  It was
complete when I saw it.

SuStel
Stardate 4453.6

Back to archive top level