tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 11 03:13:09 2004

Re: taH (was Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey)

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' Voragh:

>   DuHIvmeH SuvwI' lol ghaH
>   the warrior is in a stance to attack you [HQ 11.2]
>N.B. {lol} is being used as an active, not a stative, verb.  He did not
>write:
>   *DuHIv SuvwI' lol
>    The warrior in-a-stance attacks you.

{DuHIv SuvwI' lol} is not the same as {DuHIvmeH SuvwI' lol ghaH}. The first
implies that an attack is actually taking place, where the second does not.

Just in passing, the placement of {SuvwI'} in this sentence is a little odd
to me (although I'm probably influenced by English in that perception): I
would have said {DuHIvmeH lol SuvwI'}. It's shorter, plus in {DuHIvmeH
SuvwI' lol ghaH} the warrior doesn't have to be the one in the stance.

That being said, I bow to your evidence - it does look like {taH} (and
{lol}, for that matter) isn't stative. I did say that I wasn't sure. {{:)
(Message from June 7th:

>letlh taHDaq yIt (He walks down the stairs that are at a negative angle [or
>stairs leading down])
>mu'tlheghvam boyaj'a'? lugh'a'?

yajlaHlaw' vay', 'ach lughbe'law'.

Savan.

QeS lagh

SEEK: Now with over 50,000 dream jobs! Click here:
http://ninemsn.seek.com.au?hotmail

Back to archive top level