tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jun 05 05:16:00 2004

Re: Translation

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Se'noj le'umaS" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 8:59 PM
Subject: Translation

> Se'noj
> A friend on one MUSH I play for asked for the following to be translated:
> Act and you shall have dinner. Think and you shall be dinner.
>
> I gave him:
> bIvangchugh DaSop. bIQubchugh DaSoplu'.
>
> How close to the mark was I?

Damughchu'! majQa'! "If you act, you will eat it. If you think, you will be
eaten."

I particularly like the repetition in most of the elements of  the sentence
({bI-}, {-chugh}, and {DaSop}), with the only changes being to the first
verb, and the addition of {-lu'}, to turn the action onto the one advised.
It mirrors the English quite well. {majQa'!}

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/