tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jun 04 22:12:16 2004

Re: Translation

De'vID jonwI' ([email protected])

Se'noj:
>>Savan,
>>A friend on one MUSH I play for asked for the following to be translated:
>>Act and you shall have dinner. Think and you shall be dinner.
>>I gave him:
>>bIvangchugh DaSop. bIQubchugh DaSoplu'.

It's perfect, if you don't mind not being literal.  ("You shall
eat/be eaten" vs. "You shall have/be dinner".)  If you want
to be more literal, maybe try <'uQ DaSop> and <'uQ Damoj>.

Also, you might add a <-bej> to both verbs for emphasis:
<bIvangchugh DaSopbej. bIQubchugh DaSoplu'bej>
"Act and you will certainly eat. Think and you will certainly
be eaten"

weQqul:
>shouldn't <DaSoplu'> be <DuSoplu'> in this sentence?

ghobe'.  When using <-lu'>, the prefixes take on a special
meaning.  The x'th-person-subject-third-person-object prefix
is used to indicate indefinite-subject-x'th-person-object.

For example, <batlh Daqawlu'taH> is "You will be remembered
with honour" (from Star Trek III).

--
De'vID

MSN Premium: Up to 11 personalized e-mail addresses and 2 months FREE*