tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 17:41:57 2004

RE: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

Heather Myers ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]
On Behalf Of [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, 03 June, 2004 6:34 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

In a message dated 2004-06-03 7:27:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> No one is going to learn
> to speak the language if he is given phrases from experts.

This is precisely how everyone learns his native language (considering
any
native speaker to be an expert).  This is how many, perhaps most, people
learn a second language.  Klingon should be no different.

lay'tel SIvten
=
jIjatlh:

I learned Klingon (and Spanish, and French, and Latin) by gathering
small amounts of vocabulary and grammar and forming simple sentences
with them, slowly making them more complicated as I learned more words
and grammar.

Not everyone learns the same way.  My former boss and I shared an
interest in Latin.  I presented him with a book which teaches the
language in the way I learn (see above).  He later procured a book of
his own which contained many lists of declensions and conjugations.  He
learned better by memorizing lists.  If the only resource available to
me for learning Klingon had been a list of phrases (no grammar, no vocab
lists, etc.), I would not have learned as much as I did.  In fact, I
might have given up the study entirely because I would not find such a
thing at all helpful.

Please consider that others may (and do) have different experiences and
opinions than you do.  There is no one true way.

jIqel ghojwI'
<batlh wo' yejHaD je vItoy'mo' jIHem>

---