tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 08:09:33 2004

Re: Translation

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> Tyler Fisher:
> >  Here's a line of dialogue I've translated into Klingon.
> >  Tell me if you think I did an okay job:
> >
> >    {vay' DaSeHlaHbe'bogh DabuSchugh, HoS Danatlh neH
> >    'ej jagh DachenmoH.}
> >    Thinking about what you can't control only wastes
> >    energy and creates its own enemy.
>
> A small suggestion:  I would either omit "its own" or add {-Daj}.  {jagh
> DachenmoH} means only "you create an enemy".  And since {-Daj} could refer
> to any of the nouns {vay'}, {HoS} or {jagh} I'd tag the topic with {-'e'}:
>
>    vay''e' DaSeHlaHbe'bogh DabuSchugh, HoS Danatlh neH 'ej jaghDaj
DachenmoH.

I don't agree with the {-Daj}: "its" in "its own enemy" in the English
doesn't refer to the thing you can't control, it refers to the "thinking."
"Thinking . . . creates its own enemy."  However, Tyler's Klingon sentence
changes the grammar from talking about "thinking" to talking about "you."
*You* merely expend energy and *you* create an enemy.

And without the {-Daj}, there's really no reason to add the {-'e'} either.

Tyler started with an English sentence and translated it into Klingon.  His
translation was excellent: it entirely captured the meaning of the original
without paying attention to the original grammar.  This is the kind of work
translators should strive for.

SuStel
Stardate 4423.3

Back to archive top level