tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 07:58:19 2004

Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

From: <[email protected]>

> In a message dated 2004-06-03 9:23:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [email protected] writes:
>
> > And wouldn't you have to show every possible way to use a word?  You've
used
> > {tlhaQ} adjectivally, but it can also be used as the main verb of a
> > sentence.  And what about controversial words like {jeS}?  Does it take
an
> > object or not?  Does the list-maker get to decide?  What gives him that
> > authority?  Or, if the list doesn't represent known facts, what good is
the
> > list?
> >

> I wasn't trying to give an example of every possible use of any of those
> words.  If {jeS} is used by an advanced speaker, then that usage could be
> included.  Whether a usage is included would be determined by the speaking
community.
> After all, does any good speaker avoid using a word simply because it has
> never been used in canon?  I doubt it.  We *do* have a gloss for all of
the
> words, after all.  The authority for how a word is used would be the
> speakers.  Almost all of accepted Klingon usage is non-canon.  That body
of usage
> should be available to beginners as well.  It should be marked as
non-canon,
> but being non-canon does not mean unacceptable.

And there's the point of contention.  You're still saying that the KLI
should make Klingon.  All of the advanced speakers I've ever met or known
are members of the KLI, or have been.  And what you're talking about is
imposing the opinions of an elite on the language usage of all.

The KLI is not in charge of Klingon.  I wish you could accept that.  Klingon
is not a natural language, with a native speaking population; nor is it a
controlled artificial language like Lojban, with a group of people in charge
of it, refining it.  If you want to be able to mold a language to your
liking, look elsewhere: we view Klingon through the window of Star Trek
fiction.  Klingon is what Okrand says it is, and Okrand is intentionally
very vague about it.

As an advanced speaker, I think that the advanced speakers should not have
any authority to declare truths about Klingon, to be followed by all.  I
know most of the advanced speakers agree with me.  That simply isn't what
the KLI is about.  Do what we do: form your own opinions about how things
work, use the language that way, and communicate with others.  Your best
chance of influencing common usage is by example, not by enforcement.

SuStel
Stardate 4423.3

Back to archive top level