tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 07:17:38 2004

Re: mu' lo' QaQ 'oSbogh mu'tlheghmey

In a message dated 2004-06-03 9:23:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> And wouldn't you have to show every possible way to use a word?  You've used
> {tlhaQ} adjectivally, but it can also be used as the main verb of a
> sentence.  And what about controversial words like {jeS}?  Does it take an
> object or not?  Does the list-maker get to decide?  What gives him that
> authority?  Or, if the list doesn't represent known facts, what good is the
> list?

I wasn't trying to give an example of every possible use of any of those
words.  If {jeS} is used by an advanced speaker, then that usage could be
included.  Whether a usage is included would be determined by the speaking community.
After all, does any good speaker avoid using a word simply because it has
never been used in canon?  I doubt it.  We *do* have a gloss for all of the
words, after all.  The authority for how a word is used would be the advanced
speakers.  Almost all of accepted Klingon usage is non-canon.  That body of usage
should be available to beginners as well.  It should be marked as non-canon,
but being non-canon does not mean unacceptable.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level