tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jun 03 06:08:07 2004

Re: to create -> to be creative

Thorwald Peeters ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

<quote who="Scott Willis">

That's something.

>> Are there examples in {Hol} canon of other verbs that
>> were so transformed?

> Not sure I get your meaning of "so transformed", but I recall a question
> like this, about a year ago, involving {Dal} "to be boring" and "to be
> bored", that seems to have parallels. No definite conclusions were
> reached,
> IIRC.

>> Or is "to create" good enough, when the {Hol} form is
>> used?

> "Good enough" for what? {chen} is good enough when you want to say that
> something takes form, and {chenmoH} fits the bill nicely when you want to
> say something created something else. It depends entirely on what,
> precisely, you're trying to say.

To be creative is to take something an make something new, often
unexpected out of it. I wanted to translate "I am creative with words",
which maybe could be changed to "I am a word-juggler" or something
similar.
This could be misunderstood though...

> If you want to say that the subject writes stories often, you would state
> that: {pIj lutmey qon} "She records (composes) often."

> Like many things in this language, this will depend on context. What,
> exactly, do you want to say about this person? Then say it.

> So, what does the person do that qualifies him/her as "creative"? And
> we'll work together from there.

See above. It is with regards to making weird and wonderful constructions
in {tlhIngan Hol}

> --ngabwI'
> Beginners' Grammarian,
> Klingon Language Institute