tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 08:33:30 2004

Re: wa'DIch

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 8:45 PM
Subject: KLBC: wa'DIch

> lay'tel SIvten:
> looking through HolQeD v9n4 (2000/12), i notice on page 5 (in captain
> krankor's "from the grammarian's desk") that he gives two examples of
{wa'DIch}
> without a noun.  here are the examples:
>
> wa'DIch maHIv 'e' muS jagh = The enemy hates us attacking first.
>
> wa'DIch maHIv.  'e' muS jagh. = We attack first.  The enemy hates that.
>
> doesn't {wa'DIch} mean 'the first one' when it has no accompanying noun?
in
> these two examples it seems to be used as an adverbial.  (in the english
> 'first' is an adverb.)

It seems to be that way to me as well. I've looked in all the canon I have
(TKD, KGT, TKW, CK, PK, BoP poster) and I cannot find a single instance of
{wa'DIch} used adverbially, as it appears to be in the sentences above. I
can dig up only one example of this usage online, and it occurs in {taHjaj
wo'} the unofficial "Klingon anthem", written by HoD Qanqor himself. I will
keep an eye out for canon that allows this, but until I am able to find it,
it seems too close to the English to be true.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/