tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 08:00:31 2004

Re: chay' vuDwIj vIjatlh, 'ej chay' ngoD vIjatlh?

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 29, 2004 8:45 PM
Subject: KLBC: chay' vuDwIj vIjatlh, 'ej chay' ngoD vIjatlh?

> lay'tel SIvten:
> my question is: how would a klingon then differentiate between stating his
> opinion and stating a fact?  if the act of his stating it makes it his
opinion,
> how does he state a fact?

I don't know how a Klingon would differentiate between fact and opinion, but
I personally see nothing wrong with using {'e' vIHar} or {'e' vIQub}. It is
a shorter way to state something as an opinion, and allows you to be more
accurate. (Straightforwardness and accuracy, two traits valued by Klingons.)

> lay'tel SIvten:
>  perhaps the clearest way is
> to simply say it is an opinion:  {'IH mara' 'e' 'oH vuDwIj(na')'e'} ("my
> (definite) opinion is that mara is beautiful") [is that right?]

I would drop the {'e'}, and simply say {'IH mara. vuDwIj(na') 'oH}

I have used {'e' vIHar} for my entire time on this list, and have yet to be
corrected. I think you're on pretty solid ground here. }}: )

--ngabwI'
 Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/