tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 23:54:34 2004

Re: wa'DIch

> wa'DIch maHIv 'e' muS jagh = The enemy hates us attacking first.
> wa'DIch maHIv.  'e' muS jagh. = We attack first.  The enemy hates that.

ja' ngabwI':
>...I've looked in all the canon I have
>(TKD, KGT, TKW, CK, PK, BoP poster) and I cannot find a single instance of
>{wa'DIch} used adverbially, as it appears to be in the sentences above.

There's a strangely placed {wa'DIch} in Skybox card S15:

wa'DIch tlhIngan Dujmey luleghlu'pu'bogh rur qItI'nga' Duj.
"Similar in configuration to the first Klingon vessels encountered, the
K'Tinga-Class..."

It's most likely an error in putting the ordinal number before the noun
instead of after it, and it ought to be {tlhingan Dujmey wa'DIch
luleghlu'pu'bogh...}  However, it's vaguely possible that it could be an
example of exactly what you're looking for, with a more direct translation
being "...the Klingon vessels first encountered..."

I'll stick with the "misplaced ordinal" explanation, myself.  Mild
supporting evidence comes from the trial scene in ST6, where the idea
"Enterprise fired first" comes out something like {baHpa' Qo'noS wa', baH
'entepray'}.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level