tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 28 16:48:43 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: constellation Tracker

Quvar:
> > this is described on the KCD, but I can't start the program.
> > Just correct me if I'm wrong, is this "constellation" same as
> > "Sternbild", like Orion, Cassiopeia and Eridani are constellations?
> >
> > Then next, what's this constellation's name?

The name of the constellation is {ghochwI'}.

qurgh:
>Yes, it's a star constellation.  The story goes:
>One day Kahless decided to leave the Klingon people, he pointed to a star in
>the constellation of the Tracker and said that he would return one day at
>that location.  The Klingon people later setup a monastery on the planet
>Boreth that circles that star.
>
>As for the meaning of the name, it's most likely a fictitious Klingon
>historical character that anthropomorphizes an aspect of Klingon culture.
>Tracking prey or enemies in order to capture/kill them. I think your on the
>right track here :)

This comes from the CD game "Star Trek: Klingon!".  {ghochwI'} "The
Tracker", is the title of a sculpture in Torghn's house:  a 3D
representation of the constellation in the Kahless myth.  I only saw it
once, but my recollections was that the sculpture was abstract and not a
realistic anthropomorphic (klingonomorphic?) representation of a historical
figure like Worf's statuette of Kahless and his brother Morath fighting, or
a mythological figure like Orion, the hunter.

Quvar:
> > I mean, what's a "tracker", {ghochwI'}?  One thing that "tracks down"...
> > That would be in the sense of "track down a deer" or "track
> > down a criminal"

Our only example of the verb {ghoch} "track, track down" was heard in ST6
by the warden (commandant?) of the prison on Rura Penthe when Kirk and
McCoy escaped:

   qaghochnISlaH          (?)
   I could track [for you]...

This line was mumbled and cut off.  (The warden was making excuses to Gen.
Chang and he impatiently shut off the message.)

We also have the noun {ghoch} "destination", never used in canon.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level