tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 13:54:43 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: {'Im}

Nancy Nielsen-Brown ([email protected]) [KLI Member]

I would agree with this, basically getting the fat to become a hot liquid is
rendering.  I tend to think of using a fat-containing meat base such as
bacon, however getting the fat from a outside source is certainly
legitimate.  The key to render is the animal origin of that fat.  Oils
derived from vegetables (so unKlingon!) are not rendered. Humans may use
vegetable based oils to deep-fry, I doubt seriously a Klingon would even
consider it!  The meat flavor is absent.
In summary - would you agree that we can consider tlhagh to be animal fat,
the act of making it a hot liquid is 'Im. (and when you toss in any food
containing non-fat liquid such as water - it bubbles and boils)?

And I go by p'an, although tera'nganpu' call me Nancy ;)

p'an