tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 21 05:45:47 2004

Re: anyone who wants to try this:

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 10:19 PM
Subject: anyone who wants to try this:

> weQqul:
> The closest I can come to recasting this without losing the meaning is
this:

> reH mameQtaH parmaqna'ma'vaD qulDaQ
> 1. we are forever/always (as in no- end)  continuously (as in non -stop)
> burning in the fire due to/for our definite love.

This isn't as bad as you think it is. The only advice I could offer:
1. It's {qulDaq} "in the fire", not {qulDaQ}. Watch your capitals.
2. {parmaq} is not capable of using language, and as such would take {-maj}
instead of {-ma'}.
3. I would probably switch out {-mo'} "due to, because of" for {-vaD} in
{parmaqna'majvaD}.
4. I would change the word order only slightly:
{reH qulDaq mameQtaH, parmaqna'majmo'} "We are continuously burning in the
fire because of our definite love."

Note: {parmaq} is a much more aggressive thing than "love". I don't consider
your use wrong, but be aware of the distinction.

> weQqul:
> I also
> need to insert the word intense/chay' in this sentence and have no idea
where
> it would go! It is the intensity of the love that causes/creates/produces
the
> outcome.

I wouldn't say *need*. {jay'} ({chay'} means "how, in what manner") is
invective, a curse. Is that what you're going for? If it is, put it at the
end of the sentence. It intensifies the whole thing, and turns it into a
curse.

> weQqul:
> 2. parmaqna'ma'vaD maHeghqang
> We are willing to die for our love.

Watch the {-ma'}, but otherwise well done.

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/