tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 18 14:46:07 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: exiling exhaust

Tad Stauffer ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

At 07:37 PM 1/18/2004 +0100, Quvar wrote:

>Anyway, summary of the problem:
>
>    {ghIm} v. exile
>    {ghImwI'} n. exhaust
>       versus
>    {tlhuch} v. exhaust
>    {taQbang} n. exhaust

It's possible that when Okrand went to translate "exhaust" for the Bird of
Prey poster, he made a look-up error.
(I'm assuming {peng baHjan tuj ghImwI'} "heat exhaust for torpedo launcher"
is used on the BoP poster?)
"Exile (v)" {ghIm} and "Exhaust (v)" {tlhuch} are right next to each other
in TKD on the English side, so he may have used {ghImwI'} when he meant to
use {tlhuchwI'}. "Exhaust (n)" {taQbang} is on the previous page of TKD, so
he may have not seen that at all.

As far as what the individual words mean, based on their glosses in TKD,
I'd use the following definitions:

{ghIm} verb - As you said, "to banish or expel from one's own country or
home : drive away"

{tlhuch} verb - There are several definitions of the verb "exhaust" at
dictionary.com:
1) To wear out completely
2) To drain of resources or properties; deplete
3) To use up completely
4) To treat completely; cover thoroughly
5) To draw out the contents of; drain
6) To let out or draw off
7) To escape or pass out
Definition 1 could be expressed by {QopmoH} in Klingon.
Definition 2 and 3 could be expressed by {natlh} in Klingon.
If Okrand really meant to use {tuj tlhuchwI'} instead of {tuj ghImwI'} for
"heat exhaust", then that could suggest definition 5 or 6 is what {tlhuch}
means. If I ignore the BoP poster phrase, and focus only on what appears in
TKD, I probably would assume that definition 1 is what {tlhuch} is.

{taQbang} noun - As you said, this could be either the gas/heat/fumes that
come out of an engine, or the part of the engine that releases the
gas/heat/fumes. I don't think we have any examples of {taQbang}, so we
probably don't know which meaning is correct.

- taD

Back to archive top level