tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 14 14:54:47 2004

Re: "ser" and "estar" (to be)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2004 3:01 PM
Subject: Re: "ser" and "estar" (to be)

> >Mind you, I'm not saying these MUST be acceptable in Klingon.  However,
they
> >seem a reasonable use to me, given what we know of canon, and my feel for
> >the language.  Lack of canon is not proof of invalidity.
>
> But neither is it license to invent or extend the rules willy nilly in
> order to replicate features of English.  (For the old-timers, that was
Glen
> Proechel's approach to Klingon, especially WRT vocabulary.)

I'll get to the content of the message in a while, when I've calmed down.
In the meantime, I object to the implication that I'm inventing or extending
rules "in order to replicate features of English" and "willy nilly."  I
resent being compared to Proechel and his approach, which is typically
(rightly or wrongly) denounced on this list.

I don't think it's your intention to frustrate or insult me, but it is
getting to that point with hyperbole like this.  I am certain I am known for
my conservative approach to speaking Klingon, and ludicrous suggestions like
these irk me a great deal.

SuStel
Stardate 4037.9

Back to archive top level