tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 14:01:37 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {vID'Ir}

Quvar wrote:
> >>Try www.dictionary.com, it's free and pretty complete.
>
>Okay, I just tried it.
>
>I entered "baffle" (Klingon vID'Ir).  The result was "Leitblech"
>Nothing else!  Should I just believe it?
>I don't know a baffle, nor a Leitblech - and websters gave me pages of
>explanations...

It's a mechanical engineering term.

 From my notes:  A baffle is "(a) A deflector, as a plate or wall, so
arranged across a furnace or boiler flue as to mingle the hot gases and
deflect them against the substance to be heated. (b) A grating or plate
across a channel or pipe conveying water, gas, or the like, by which the
flow is rendered more uniform in different parts of the cross section of
the stream."

Baffles control or direct the flow of fluids, energy or heat exhaust (think
of a jet engine).

When this question came up the last time, ngabwI' defined baffle in Klingon as:

  HoS, Hat je SeHmeH jan 'oH vID'IR'e'.

{tel vID'Irmey} "wing baffles" are listed as part of the wing assembly in
the Klingon Bird-of-Prey poster.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons