tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 13:53:39 2004

Re: "ser" and "estar" (to be)

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>
> There is, however, a slight wrinkle when using pronouns to refer to
> location:  you have to say PRONOUN + {-taH} "continuous".  E.g.:

My guess is this isn't so much a linguistic requirement as a practical one.
Given the right circumstances, I could see other suffixes being used this
way.

wa' rep ret jImej; DaH naDev jIHqa'.
I left an hour ago; now I'm here again.

pa'lIjDaq jIHlI'.
I'm in your room (and will be until I don't have to be anymore).

pa' 'oH!  DaH pa' 'oH!  DaH pa' 'oH!
There it is!  Now it's over there!  Now it's over there! (said pointing at
an erratically-moving object)

SuStel
Stardate 4035.1

Back to archive top level