tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 13:32:00 2004

Re: time

From: "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>

> On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 12:35:25PM -0500, [email protected] wrote:
> > i think someone already told me that tlhIngan Hol doesn't have time
> > references in tense form, so how would you say "we will speak later" or
> > "we will talk later about this?"
>
> The Klingon equivalent of "we will speak later" would literally mean
> "we speak later" (although I don't know if we have a word for
> "later").  The time reference is enough to tell you that the action is
taking
> place in the future; the verb doesn't need to change, too.  Similarly, the
> Klingon equivalent of "we spoke yesterday" is literally "we speak
yesterday".

Mind, /wa'Hu' majatlh/ doesn't "literally" mean "We speak yesterday."
Exactly what it means can't be expressed in English, because English
REQUIRES a tense be chosen.  I might be able to mimic the idea like this:
"Yesterday.  Us.  Speech."  Any natural English translation is flawed,
because it imposes a tense that doesn't exist in the Klingon.

wa'Hu' majatlh.
We spoke yesterday.

DaHjaj majatlh.
We speak today.