tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 13 13:27:58 2004

Re: "ser" and "estar" (to be)

Klingon pronouns do not mean "to be."  They are pronouns.  The mean "me" and
"it" and "him" and so on.  It just so happens that you can equate nouns and
pronouns by putting them together, and the resulting construction is
considered a sentence.

HoD jIH

Think of a Klingon pointing at his captain's insignia, then at himself.
/HoD/ and /jIH/ are things, and putting the two together results in a
sentence equating the two.

There's no mention of quality or condition with "to be" constructions.  I
think that most things you'd think of as an "estar" condition in Spanish
will be expressed with verbs in Klingon, though it's not necessarily always
true.  (It's been a long time since I studied Spanish, so forgive any
errors.)

I am happy.
Estoy alegre.
jIQuch.

I am reading.
Estoy leyendo.
jIlaDtaH / jIlaDlI'.

Frequently, things that use "ser" in Spanish will also be expressed with
verbs in Klingon.

I am strong.
Soy fuerte.
jIHoS.

You may also translate Spanish "ser" with the Klingon "to be" construction
in the right circumstances.

I am the captain.
Soy el capitán.
HoD jIH.

Klingon isn't exactly the same as either English or Spanish with these
constructions.  Like English, it doesn't distinguish between quality and
condition like Spanish does with "ser," but unlike both English and Spanish
it only uses "to be" for assigning pronouns to nouns, not for describing
pronouns with adjectives, or for a placeholder for participles.

Remember, Klingon doesn't *actually* have "to be."  It just sticks nouns
next to pronouns.  Me Tarzan, you Jane.  Monkey in hut.

SuStel
Stardate 4035.0