tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 04 15:45:02 2004

subscribe, et al.

In a message dated 2004-12-03 5:21:08 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[email protected] writes:

> I can get around "subscribe" in many cases by using /chel/ "add" (instead
> of the subscribe button saying "Subscribe" I could say, "yIchel"), so
> that's not as key.  But the other two keep throwing me; I think I've been
> fairly successful at recasting in many cases, but even the recasts are
> inconsistent...

"Subscribe" here means more like "Add yourself as a member".  What about
using {muv} 'join' (yImuv)?

What is the point of view taken for the buttons and instructions?  Are they
commands from the computer to the user about what the user should do ("Click
here to join"), or are they commands from the user to the computer (which makes
more sense to me).  Thus {HIchel} ("Add me") for "subscribe", or {jImuv vIneH}
("I want to join").

A subscriber is one who has joined: {muvbogh nuv/ghot}.
A subscription is (kind of) the group one joins:  {ghom muvbogh}.

If {muv} already means 'be a member of' (which is NOT it's gloss), then
"subscribe" could be {muvchoH}.

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level